Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Having Fun with Math- Spicing it up for Reluctant Learners!


Note: This is from another session attended at the Alaska Special Ed. Conference 2015 

John Eller shared  his enthusiasm for teaching math with the room at high speed! We had a blast, it was probably the fastest moving session I attended.
He jumped started the session with a ukulele solo of "We're gonna do some math!
( I now want to learn how to play one!)



He moved right into the Magic Circle:


 He asked someone to pick a number 1-31.
He would flip the circles and asked if the number was there and guess their number after
a few questions.

I have to be honest here....I don't know exactly how to do this, but I'm planning on making my own circles and figuring it out!
The slide above has the list of numbers that each circle contains. I'll bet there are some number gurus here that understand how to do it and why it works!

Here's a riddle......


Using dice.......

John recommended teaching students how to use a calculator. When they get to middle and high school, they need to know how to work one.

How do you collect data using games?
Student math journals.
Teacher checklist of skills





He also showed us some books written by Greg Tang.


This session has already changed the way I teach math, I love the math program we are using, but I am adding some spice to it! The kid response is........
It was a great session!


Try some of these ideas and let me know how they go!


Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment